Sunday, September 1, 2013

Memories of a 4a.m. Custodian


24 Things I Remember about Being a 4a.m. Custodian at the John Taylor Religion Building at BYU-Idaho

1.       Cleaning the bathrooms and listening to NPR on the radio; NPR is word-for-word identical from 4a.m.-5a.m. and 5a.m.-6a.m.

2.       The sickly sweet, medicinal scent of Foamy Q&A and CDC-10

3.       Finding a brown recluse spider on the underside of the toilet seat in the men’s bathroom… just waiting to bite someone on the bum!

4.       Cleaning the windows on the outside of the doors and being terrified that a spider was going to drop onto my head

5.       Professors coming in and thanking us for the “sweet feeling of reverence” we brought to the building; snickering about the music we had to turn off at 6:30a.m. precisely so that said professors wouldn’t be bothered by non-hymns 

6.       The absolute reeking stench of one Brother’s office, which he carried on his clothing and into his classroom; how much I wanted to put an air freshener in his office… and how one miraculously showed up when his wife started teaching and shared the office with him

Full disclosure:  He had some herbs from Jerusalem, not a B.O. problem

7.       Using the backpack canister vacuum on the stairs… feeling paranoid that anytime I sucked up a spider alive, it was going to crawl back out and bite me!

8.       The time I spotted a Brown Recluse from 50 feet away and nobody believed I could have seen one that far away… but I did and they found and killed it right where I said it was

9.       How incredibly many cheerios, crayons and crumpled papers the married student ward left on the floor of the chapel every week

10.   Finding out the Tanzanian man I had a secret crush on was married… and 13 years older than me; why must Africans have such good skin?

11.   Deciding I wanted 8 children someday because families with 8 children filled up the picture frames in all of the professors’ offices better than any other number; ceasing to share this rationale with friends when they consistently laughed and told me that filling up a picture frame was not a good enough reason to have 8 children

12.   After more than a year working in the same building, wondering what would happen if I left the professors notes informing them it was time to update their family picture?

13.   Dropping a delicate seashell while feather dusting a bookshelf in a professors office and worrying that it was some priceless heirloom from his honeymoon... learning he accepted my apology and that it was a priceless heirloom from an anniversary trip to his honeymoon location

14.   The time our boss started a wet paper-towel fight among all of the employees in the atrium

15.   The last day of each semester when our boss cooked breakfast for us; finishing my assignment early and getting to help cook instead of doing odd-jobs

16.   Saturday mornings when we’d all sit around on rolls of carpet in the foyer and eat donuts for breakfast or, on our "healthier" weeks, bananas and chocolate milk

17.   Seeing a test answer booklet on a secretary’s desk for a class I was taking and not looking

18.   Walking to work in the dark, in below-freezing temperatures and gale force winds…  walking at an angle because the wind kept pushing me sideways; the first time I ever saw an umbrella flip inside-out

19.   Being so dead tired I slept through my alarm clock and all of its iterations

20.   Going back to sleep after work: welcome sweet oblivion

21.   Sitting on a bench outside the Taylor building between work and my first class and seeing a spider as big as my clenched fist come skittering toward me; being unable to scream, I was so paralyzed with fright

22.   Attempting to clean outside windows in the dead of winter and watching the spray freeze instantly on the window panes; feeling flummoxed about how to accomplish this task, then sheepish when I learned you simply don’t clean windows that are frozen, an experience I’d never had growing up in Phoenix

23.   Listening to coworkers say things in various African languages and repeating them back perfectly; being praised for having a good ear for languages

24.   Annual custodian cookouts in the facilities lot

1 comment:

  1. I loved #6! All the pieces come together eventually! By the way, thanks for the new word: flummoxed. I like it!

    ReplyDelete