Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Duffy, aka Katherine Scott

My name is not Duffy.  It is also not Katherine Scott, although I once considered that as a pen name for my future career as a professional author.  It hasn't panned out yet (the career; I still like the pen name, which incorporates both of my parents’ middle names).

My first experience being called Duffy was in Elementary school.  A boy in my class wouldn’t stop calling me Duffy even after I asked him to, but as a consolation prize he did invite me to call him Stearns-y.  I think he liked me.  That was back when boys were gross and girls had cooties.

Anyway I come from a long line of Duffy’s.  It’s a play on our last name, which I am unabashedly proud of, and as a tribute to the enduring creativity of the human mind each of my ancestors have also been called Duffy during their childhoods and in some cases into adulthood.

Also, it makes me feel like a soccer star.

1 comment: